Explaining the K-Drama Effect


They Will Ruin Your Life and You Will Love Every Second of It


Have you ever been addicted to anything? Have you ever felt the desperate need for one more shot of something, even if it might kill you? If no, then Korean dramas will certainly take you there and beyond. 


Korean dramas of K-dramas entered our lives with the onset of the 21st century and the global Korean Wave. For the uninitiated, Korean Wave is a term given to the world-wide exposure to the Korean culture, including, but not limited to, its entertainment industry. 


When these dramas came to us through apps like Netflix, Viki, Viu, and even YouTube, we were all goners. While the whole world (and one of my closest friends) went crazy over K-dramas as early as 2014 (some, even before), I was introduced to this crazy world in 2018. The first series I watched, Lucky Romance had me crying, laughing, cringing, frustrated, and hopeful, all at the same. 


Lucky Romance (2016)


After spending my whole life watching Indian soap, followed by the American and English series (albeit on the end of the spectrum), Korean dramas were refreshing. They are a complete package of outrageous situations, wheeze-inducing comedy, and unique (read crazy) plots. The story of most K-dramas is unbelievable and impractical in real life. However, it is precisely the utter absurdity of these stories that hook us in. 


For the rational minds, Korean series is a mind-boggling combination of blunders, loose ties, and senselessness. While they find faults in all the dramas they watch, they cannot help but watch some more. On the flip side, for people like me, who are immune to stupidity from all the Indian serials we have consumed, can appreciate what the series has to offer. 


So, what does a K-drama offer? If you didn't catch my drift from above, then let me explain in detail just how much these dramas can give you. 


Boys Over Flowers (2009)


Like any other series you may watch, regardless of the language, K-dramas are abundant with situations that are crazy and unrealistic. However, Koreans know and will take it to a notch higher than others (don't even get me started on Japanese or Chinese ones). 


Plot- a woman must find a man born in the year of the tiger and sleep with him to save her dying sister.


Only Korean dramas can go with a plot like this and turn it into a heartwarming and hilarious romantic comedy. Rest assured that this plot is only the tip of the iceberg of craziness K-dramas can get to. 


However, despite having crazy story ideas and absurd plotlines, K-dramas can win anyone's heart with the range of emotions they convey. One dialogue is all it takes in a Korean series for a hilarious situation to take serious note. In any drama, you take, be it historical or thriller, you will experience everything from humor, fun, love, friendship, betrayal, pain, and hope. 


Major credit for this achievement of the K-dramas goes to the wonderful actors (more on them later) and the writers. The dialogues combined with stunning performances by the artists will have you laughing or bawling your eyes with them. This is even more so if you are an empath like me, who cannot help but cry when someone else cries (trust me, it is a struggle). 


Speaking of crying, we can all agree we all look unpresentable (to put it lightly) when we bawl our eyes out. I am convinced, at this point, that K-drama actors are from a different species altogether. How else can you explain someone looking so handsome or pretty when crying? Not only does seeing them cry so prettily boggle my mind, but I can't even see them clearly because of all the unshed tears in my eyes (sigh). 


While we are still discussing the good-looking Korean actors and actresses, let me say, I have come to realize just how fickle my heart is. After watching these dramas, I have a crush on anyone and everyone! I want to date every male lead and turn gay for every female protagonist. Tell me, oh god of crushes, how is it fair on my poor heart? How can I ever choose between Park Hyung Sik and Rowoon or Yook Sung Jae and Nam Joo-hyuk? 


Can you really choose any one from them?


Don't even get me started on the leading ladies of the Korean dramas. Not only are they lucky with two very, very handsome guys fighting for their affection, but they are blessed with looks and charm that can turn any straight woman into a lesbian. If that wasn't unfair enough, even the most beautiful actresses are tagged as common and blah in the dramas. Are you kidding me? Are Korean women really that good-looking? (sigh) 


Faced with such situations, I cannot help but fall for each and every actor in leading and supporting roles (and the writers, sure, don't make it any easy on me). I cannot resist it, and neither can several thousands of K-drama addicts like me. Yes, I admit that I am an addict (more on that later), and I need help. What can ease my situation? Losing the need to sleep, so I can spend more of my time watching K-dramas. 


How I look almost every morning


Why do I need so much time, you ask? With each episode spanning over an hour, a 16-episode drama will take around 16-17 hours to finish. Now, I can always watch it in installments, but the writers and directors will not allow me to do so. I am most certainly the cat that curiosity killed oh-so brutally. The show creators know how to end each episode to have me up the whole night. The dark circles bestowed to me by interesting Korean dramas have, now, completed my Panda look. However, that doesn't matter to me anymore. All it matters is to watch one more episode. Yes, that is how addicted I am. 


If you think I am one of the few people who are addicted to K-dramas, think again. One episode is all it takes and you are cursed to binge, regardless of the sleep, until the show ends. Keep in mind, your eyes will be tired after a point with all the crying. What will keep you going? The delicious mix of cringy cliches and cute (sometimes, fiery) chemistry along with comedy that hurts your stomach and emotions that end in swollen eyes and throat pain. 


To summarize all of this, Korean dramas will ruin your life, but you will love every second of it and crave for more. If, like me, you are curious about this crazy world, here are some K-dramas to get you started: 


  • Boys Over Flowers (be ready for some really cringy cliches)

  • Strong Girl Bong-soon (Google the name Park Hyung Sik to get some motivation)

  • What's Wrong With Secretary Kim (simply one of the best)

  • Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (Will stay with you FOREVER)

  • Her Private Life (There is a scene in a furniture shop you will not want to miss)

  • I am Not Robot (Hands down one of the most hilarious dramas)

  • Beauty Inside (Yet another one that will have you laugh and cry equally)

  • Heirs (Ever heard of Lee Min Ho?)

  • Bride of Habaek (A scene, chemistry, and a face you would not want to miss)


This list is not exhaustive. I am still in the early stages of my K-drama exploration. But I know one thing for sure, you can say a sweet goodbye to sleep with these dramas. Happy bingeing!


P.S. On this blog, you will find all things K-drama. From series reviews and discussions to fangirling on actors and reel couples. Sounds like something you would love to read? Well, then, read!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts